An email exchange project with a difference!
Inspired by a number of different internet projects, the aim is to combine the best aspects of some of the different email and data exchanges I have experienced into a simple, low maintenance collaborative project flexible enough to be used in a variety of ways.
What does it involve?
- You register yourself and your class by supplying contact information and some basic facts about your school.
- At some point, you will be expected to send a message introducing your class, school and wider community to the other participants in the project.
What do we get out of it?
- Registering for the project entitles you to view and search all the messages from other schools on the website, or you may choose to have them emailed to you directly.
- You will also be able to view a series of charts created from the participating classes' registration details.
- You also have the option to interact with other participating teachers via a private messageboard
How can I use it?
My main use of the project is in assessing my students' word-processing skills. They all have to prepare a 200 word description of themselves, their school, their community and the country they live in.
I then select the best passages from all their messages to form our 'composite' message to the rest of the world. We will be sending out our message at the beginning of Ramadan.
However, you may choose to participate as part of your mathematics, social studies or geography curriculum.
What it isn't!
This is not a keypal project. The emphasis is on exchanging information about what makes each school and its community special, and on exchanging data that can be used to create charts that celebrate our diversity. Participating teachers in search of keypals for their students (or for partners in other projects) are welcome to leave a message on the private messageboard.
You will not find any prescriptive lesson plans here. It is up to you to decide how to use the data on the site with your students.
You will not find any advertisements
No personal data about individual sudents is ever requested. Your email address is only stored for the project as your user name and a means of receiving individual messages from participating classes as an alternative to viewing their messages on the website. It will not be given out to other participating teachers. You may choose to leave contact details for other participating teachers on a private messageboard.